What is Cranio-Sacral therapy?
Cranio-Sacral therapy is a unique method designed to help the body cure itself. It is aimed at helping you maintain a healthy physical and mental balance by targeting the Central Nervous System, and is especially effective for treating those suffering from chronic and acute pain, stress and fatigue,.
It can help babies, children and adults suffering from a wide range of medical problems.
The central nervous system is located in the spinal column, which extends from the bones of the skull (Cranium) to the tailbone (Sacrum) by way of the vertebrae. The term Cranio-Sacral is derived from this physical location.
The cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) surrounds the cranium, the spinal cord, the sacrum and the body’s connective tissues. This fluid is referred to as “the fluid of life,” or “the essence of life,” as it allows unrestricted movement throughout the central nervous system and the related connective tissue.
The cerebrospinal fluid flows at a steady rhythm, referred to as the cranio rhythm.
Any impairment or restriction caused by physical trauma, which can be the result of an injury, accident or stress-related emotional trauma, chronic fatigue and the like, may disrupt the balance necessary for the body to function properly.
Who can benefit from Cranio-Sacral Therapy?
Cranio-Sacral therapy can be applied to people of all ages, ranging from newborn babies and children, to adults and the elderly.
- Infants – A routine examination of infants can lead to early recognition and a therapist can often remove minor pressures and restrictions caused during pregnancy and birth. The examination is recommended for all newborns.
- Children – Cranio-Sacral therapy can also help deal with learning disabilities, attention and concentration disorders, hyperactivity, etc.
- Adults – Cranio-Sacral therapy is very suitable for treating chronic pain, headaches and fatigue. It is especially effective for women suffering from menopausal symptoms.
What kinds of problems can be resolved by Cranio Sacral therapy?
- Chronic or acute pain
- Neck and back pain
- Neurological problems
- Migraines and headaches
- Joint problems
- Sleep disorders/chronic fatigue
- Dizziness, balance problems
- Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ)
- Asthma, bronchitis, immune system disorders
- Digestive system disorders
How is Cranio-Sacral therapy performed?
Cranio-Sacral therapy is a potent therapeutic method which is applied by using an extremely gentle touch. The therapy requires applying pressure which does not exceed 5 grams.
The practitioner monitors the cranial rhythm at key body points in order to determine the existence of an obstruction to the flow of the cerebrospinal fluid. By applying gentle pressure, the therapist is able to identify the rhythm changes and feel openings that distort and limit the rhythmic, symmetrical and normal movements of the Cranio-Sacral system. These distortions are the reflections of our health problems.
The therapist then encourages a response from the basic mechanism deep within the body, the Cranio-Sacral system.
Removing the obstruction will automatically result in a more uniform flow of the cerebrospinal fluid, and when the system reaches equilibrium, the symptoms vanish and the source of the pain disappears.